Monday 18 July 2011

Oulton BSB: Smart mugs Richards for debut Evo win

Moto Rapido Ducati’s Scott Smart took his first win in the British Superbike Evo class at a soaking Oulton Park yesterday, passing championship rival Glen Richards on the last lap and also beating many full Superbikes in the process.

The Maidstone-based rider (and his favourite HELD gloves) showed good pace in both wet and dry conditions over Friday and Saturday, with no sign of the engine problems that plagued the team at Snetterton returning, and qualified in 20th place overall and third in class after a dry session.


Scott Smart- image from Bonnie Lane

Come Sunday, however, the paddock awoke to heavy rain and Smart went out in the late morning warm-up to get a feel for the conditions. As the lights went out for race one, Smart got a lightning start and stayed out of trouble into the first corner where fellow Evo rider Patric Muff dived out of contention but was unhurt.

The race settled down with Smart slowly making his way towards the front, picking off bike after bike until the safety car was brought out for oil on the track at Lodge, the final corner. As it peeled back into the pits, Smart only had Richards to beat but managed to not only pass the Australian but also three-time BSB Champion Ryuichi Kiyonari and James Ellison to finish tenth overall.

“I’d had a pretty good ride through the field and I could see Glen in the distance. I was edging closer to him but it wasn’t enough so when the safety car came out it was a bit of a blessing. I had to pass another couple of Superbikes and managed to catch him at the Shell Hairpin,” said Smart.

“I thought to myself I had to have a go, so I went past at the next corner but my legs and hands slipped off as I had a bit of a moment. I had no drive but he had to roll off too. I was helped by the last corner being slippery so it was pretty-much one line through there. I’m over the moon to give the team their first win, they’ve worked so hard to get us here.”


Scott Smart - from Maidstone. Scott's gloves - from www.held-uk.co.uk. This story - from www.bikesportnews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment