Wednesday 19 September 2012

Living with: Held Cartagena Sport boots

I love my Held Shaku boots. Like RiDE magazine said about the Held Agron (Shaku boot with extras) 'It's the most comfortable boot I've ever worn'. So, I was reluctant when I was asked to try the Held Cartagena sport boot, RRP £134.99.

Having said that, when they arrived it was clear I was going to look more sporty from head to toe- like this: 

Held Rider Equipment
Cartagena- finished off the sport look nicely
Now before you say 'Power Ranger' Held do the gear in lots of colour combos- I just like to be seen from a safety point of view :)

I've now ridden over 1000 miles in them, through a lot wetter weather than I would normally like to in a sport boot, thanks to the lovely English Summer! On more than one occasion the road was ENTIRELY flooded, meaning the boots got a soaking. Here's how I got on with them:

Out of the box: 

Held Cartagena sport boots

 First impressions- look smart, really liked the comfortable sole- something that has lacked in boots I've previously owned. Lots of protection, liked the nifty little vents on the side.

See here for all the photos when the boot first arrived: Cartagena boots

Out on the road: 

The fit & comfort

I was expecting sore feet- as you'd get from new footwear. Especially as, by the nature of a solid, highly protective sport boot, they are quite hard. However! The fit was nice and a baptism of fire at a club racing event (walking around spectating, not competing!) left me feeling bewildered as to why my feet were unscathed. Not what I expected and pleasantly surprised.

The zips are 'YKK'- makers of fine zips, and the velcro is very strong and has remained in perfect working order despite lots of hammer and dowsings in water! Incidentally, I was surpised not to get wet feet with the amount of two inch deep puddles I went through over Summer. OK, I wouldn't wear these in wet, winter weather but when caught short during the awful Summer weather I was again pleased with their performance.


Held Cartagena boot
Comfy soft fabric mesh inner lining. Strong velcro


Sport boot squeak?

Yes! they did eventually develop that famous sport boot squeak in the ankle protection area, nowhere near the levels of Alpinestars and Sidi boots I've had in the past however. The squeak though was easily rectified with a two weekly little squirt-n-rub with GT85 (like WD40) that you can get from Halfords. Maybe not what the manufacturer would want to hear, but it works for me and cleans the boot at the same time!

Wear and tear

Over 1,000 miles covered in them, in the awful Summer in conditions you'd not usually put a sport boot through and they've been superb. Apart from scuffs down to clumsiness of the wearer (!) there's no stitching undone, no 'bits coming off' and nothing peeling. 

Held Cartagena boot
Detachable toe sliders- should you feel the need!
 I still don't find them as comfortable as my comfy Held Shaku touring boots- but I've worn nothing but the Cartagenas since I've had them- out of choice. The reason? They look smart, match my kit beautifully and were nice and light to wear, whilst offering excellent protection. In fact, if you watched Clare Myler in the Misano round of the Ducati 848 challenge she was wearing Cartagena boots.

If you're looking for a decent sport boot, these are brilliant. Also available in black and black / red (The Cartagena 'race').

For more information on Held in the UK and a list of stockists please visit www.held-uk.co.uk.

If you'd like your local dealer to stock Held- please drop guy@held-uk.co.uk a line, and he'll get on the case.

3 comments:

  1. Curious as to your foot size, and what size boot you went with. I'm new to the Held footwear line and currently wear a 43 in AStar and 44 in TCX. Any feedback would be wonderful. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'd go for a 44 for sure. I'm somewhere between a 9 and 10, but like to have them slightly on the spacious size, I don't like pinching and like the option to put thick socks on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That boots looks really useful and comfortable because they are like sportsboots and also looks great. But people love to wear some trendy also. I read many articles and in most of them people highly recommend Motorcycle Riding Boots. That boots are cool, stylish and branded also.

    ReplyDelete